1 June 2016
The body’s immune system is what gives it the strength to fight off infections. A compromised immune system means less ability for the body to fight off or work with drugs taken to fight off infections, leaving the person susceptible to recurrent infections and illnesses.
To keep your body in a good shape to fight off infections, it is important to pay close attention to taking care of your body as it not only helps you feel good about yourself, it also helps your body stay strong, healthy and protected.
The following five ways can help boost your immune system to better help fight off infections:
1. Get enough sleep and manage stress: Sleep deprivation and stress overload increase the hormone cortisol, prolonged elevation of which suppresses immune function. Try to get as much sleep as possible; it not only helps your brain function well, it also helps your immune system function well.
2. Avoid tobacco smoke: It undermines basic immune defenses and raises the risk of bronchitis and pneumonia in everyone, and middle ear infections in kids. The build up of toxins from smoking can compromise the immune system and leave you susceptible to lung infections.
3. Drink less alcohol: Excessive consumption impairs the immune system and increases vulnerability to lung infections. A little amount of alcohol is always permitted, but too much will destroy your immune system.
4. Eat plenty of vegetables, fruits, nuts, and seeds: They will provide your body with the nutrients your immune system needs. A study in older adults showed that boosting fruit and vegetable intake improved antibody response to flu vaccines.
5. Exercise regularly: Regular exercise helps to increase the flow of blood and burn out excess harmful toxins in the body. When the body is free and clear of toxins, the immune system can better protect the body against infections and other health problems.
Author: Aderonke Adeleke
Writer. Music lover. Movie junkie. Social Media Enthusiast. Aspiring dancer. Aspiring photographer. Social Introvert.