21 April 2016
Having good eyesight is very important. Generally, it is good to place premium on life and eyesight is a key part of life. The eye is the organ of vision which gives us the sense of sight, allowing us to learn more about our surroundings. It allows us appreciate shapes, colors, dimensions etc. Our eyes are important because we use them for an ample number of activities. Imagine a life without seeing the color of the sky, the shape of people’s faces, their smiles or a world, where you cannot watch television or cannot read novels or the newspaper.
With the important roles good eyesight plays in your life established, it is important to follow these basic steps to keep your eyes healthy. As we age, vision problems tend to come. However, there are several natural ways to maintain good eyesight. The following tips and food can make you preserve eye sight:
- Protecting your eyes starts with the food on your plate. Carrots and other fruits and vegetables promote eye health and protect vision, and it’s true: Beta-carotene, a type of vitamin A that gives these foods their orange hue, helps the retina and other parts of the eye function smoothly. Nutrients such as omega-3 fatty acids, lutein, zinc, and vitamins C and E might help ward off age-related vision problems such as macular degeneration and cataracts, studies show.
- Eating a well-balanced diet also helps you maintain a healthy weight, which makes you less likely to get obesity-related diseases such as type 2 diabetes. Diabetes is the leading cause of blindness in adults.
- Quit Smoking: Smoking makes you more likely to get cataracts, optic nerve damage, and macular degeneration. If you’ve tried to quit smoking before and started smoking again, keep trying. The more times you try to quit smoking, the more likely you are to succeed.
- Wear Sunglasses: The right kind of sunglasses will help protect your eyes from the sun’s ultraviolet (UV) rays. Too much UV exposure makes you more likely to get cataracts and macular degeneration.
- Staring at a computer screen for too long can cause: Eyestrain and Blurry vision. Avoid staring at a screen for too long.
Doing these five things everyday would help to maintain healthy eyesight. In case you notice any eye efects or vision problems, it is important that you see a doctor.