10 May 2016
Leadership is not a right but a privilege. The fact that one has been singled out or placed in a position to lead others is not a result of that individuals unique or special gift. Leadership begins in followership because a leader leads only by example.
At some point or the other, we will all be faced with the challenge to lead. The following 5 traits will show you how good a leader you will become:
– Integrity: It is the state of possessing high morals or principles which is an important trait in a leader. A good leader is a person of their word who sticks to and follows the same rules being enforced to all. Integrity will guarantee such a leader can be trusted, and once your followers can trust you, they will believe in you and all you stand for.
– Humility: To be a good leader, you must be willing to first be a follower. Humility is the act of putting oneself below others. For most leaders, this is difficult because there is always the temptation to put yourself first especially since your followers will also want to put you first. But a good leader will always strive to be treated last, to lower themselves to the position beneath the least of their followers and learn to lead by example not by order.
– Kindness: It is an enviable trait for all, but most especially for a leader. To be kind is to show genuine care and concern for others regardless of what they can do for you and even for those who hate you. It is the good leader’s kindness that will endear them to their follower and help those followers listen to and do all what the leader has instructed.
– Competence: A good leader must be competent to lead his followers in the right path. They must understand that they have been placed in that leadership position for a reason and thus they must be willing to exhibit the level of competence needed to achieve the collective goals.
– Confidence: A good leader should be confident in dispensing their duties. Even when mistakes are made, a good leader should be brave enough to stand behind their actions and take the consequences for them as they come. Confidence in whatever decision made will always take an individual far in life and for a good leader, it’ll help in achieving the goals that have been set out to achieve.
Author: Aderonke Adeleke
Writer. Music lover. Movie junkie. Social Media Enthusiast. Aspiring dancer. Aspiring photographer. Social Introvert.