6 May 2016
They say procrastination is the thief of time, and since time waits for no man, it follows that procrastination will destroy you if you let it, but not if you destroy it first with these steps:
– Make a checklist: Make a list of all the things you have to do and tick them off once each task is done. A checklist helps you focus your work and thereby get more done as opposed to cramming all your work into one action. Avoid procrastination by making a checklist of all the things you have to do and follow it diligently.
– Break work into smaller tasks: We procrastinate because we feel like the amount of work we have to do is too much and thus are overwhelmed by it. When you break or divide your work into smaller, achievable tasks, it would seem like you are doing nothing until the entire work is completed.
– Give yourself a strict deadline: Give yourself an earlier deadline than the one initially given to you. If you have to send in a work or have a deadline for tomorrow, give yourself a personal deadline of this night and force yourself to stick to it. That way, you’re forced to get started sooner and will in turn finish either by your deadline or by the original deadline.
– Discuss your goals and assignments with others: When we discuss plans with other people, it allows us to be accountable to someone else aside ourselves. This way, we can receive more motivation to work because we are not the only one watching our progress.
– Hang around people who inspire and motivate you: Success is contagious. If you hang around people who are driven and successful, that drive and success is bound to rub off on you. Surround yourself with people that inspire and motivate you to action because watching them will push you to do the same and thereby fend off procrastination.
Author: Aderonke Adeleke
Writer. Music lover. Movie junkie. Social Media Enthusiast. Aspiring dancer. Aspiring photographer. Social Introvert.