25 April 2016
There’s a heat wave in Lagos which scientists say is due to climate change. The moment you’re under the sun, it’s almost as if it is trying to smite you.
Carrying umbrellas, wearing sunshades, refusing to go out are a few remedies that could help. But one fact that most people do not know is that water can cool you on hot days.To supplement it, watermelon is a cool fruit you can drink on hot days.
Here is a fun fact watermelon about watermelon: it is both a fruit and a vegetable.
Apart from the fact that they are highly nutritious, drinking watermelon is really good for hot days due to the amount of water it contains.
Hence it is important to incorporate watermelon into our diet during these hot times. A watermelon a day may keep the doctor away because of the following things it does in the body:
– It contains Beta Carotene which helps in vision and eye related problems.
– It strengthens the immune system
– It contains 90 % water, hence on hot days, it is a tasty way to stay hydrated and avoid dehydration. It may also help to relieve constipation and heartburn.
– It can alleviate muscle cramps as well as regulate blood pressure.
– Watermelon is often referred to as Nature’s Viagra. This is because it can help with erectile dysfunction by relaxing blood vessels, including those supplying blood to your penis.
How to drink Watermelon:
You can always cut your watermelon into half and then cut them into slices which you can drink straight; however, there are other fun ways to drink your watermelon.
– You can incorporate it into a salad: Combine finely-diced watermelon with chopped green or red onion and chopped fresh cilantro or mint. For more complex flavor, add finely-chopped tomatoes, mango and/or cucumber. Cut the fruit and vegetables into larger pieces, toss with fresh spinach or mixed greens, and you have a salad
– Slice on a Stick: Cut a watermelon in half lengthwise and then in half again. Chop each piece into ½-inch-thick, triangle-shaped slices. Insert a Popsicle stick into the rind of each slice. Eat as-is, or arrange in a single layer on a baking sheet and freeze until firm. (You can use a sharp knife tip to make a small incision in the rind before inserting the stick.)
– Watermelon juice: you can make watermelon juice. all you need to do is squeeze the content of your watermelon out and blend, without the seed. you can blend cucumber with it, or add lime juice into it to make it more tasty and healthy.