7 June 2017
At least seven people are dead and several more have been injured and taken hostage in a shooting at the Iranian parliament and suicide bomb at the Mausoleum of Ayatollah Khomeini in Tehran, several semi-official Iranian news agencies reported.
One guard and six others were killed in the incident in parliament on Wednesday morning, Tasnim news agency reported, in an attack which occurred around the same time four men launched an assault on Ayatollah Khomeini’s tomb with guns and explosives.
The assailants killed a security guard and injured at least four others at the mausoleum in southern Tehran, state television said. A picture reportedly showing the explosion released by Jamaran News shows an empty courtyard.
One attacker was shot dead at the scene and one woman arrested. It is not clear if the other gunmen have been apprehended.
A witness told Reuters the parliament’s entrances were barricaded as security forces massed inside and outside. There are conflicting reports as to how many gunmen were involved but at least four people have been taken hostage.
Unconfirmed reports said that the attackers had been looking for the chamber where MPs were in session, but lost their way once inside the building.
At least one male assailant escaped the building but was captured as he was on the run, the agency reports.
The identity and motivation of the attackers in both incidents is still unclear, or whether the two are linked.
Ayatollah Ruhollah Khomeini launched the county’s Islamic revolution in 1979. He is regarded as the revolutionary founder of the modern state and is revered in Shia Islam worldwide.