21 May 2016
Sleep deprivation is a serious health problem that has become increasingly common in this generation. More and more people fall asleep less and less. Apart from the usual work reason, so many things tend to contribute to keeping the mind active and alert when it should be powering down.
Then there is also the stress factor that never seems to allow an individual get the right number of hours of sleep. Contrary to what entrepreneurs and business people will tell you, building a career and being successful shouldn’t cost you your sleep. Sleep is important to proper effectiveness and success.
If you’ve been having trouble falling asleep, this step by step breathing exercise is guaranteed to help you fall asleep under one minute;
1. Place the tip of your tongue against the tissue ridge right above your upper front teeth. Keep it there for the remainder of the exercise.
2. Exhale completely through your mouth, making a whoosh sound as you do so.
3. Close your mouth and inhale slowly through your nose while mentally counting to four.
4. Hold your breath for a mental count of seven.
5. Exhale completely through your mouth for a mental count of eight. Make the same whoosh sound from Step Two.
6. This concludes the first cycle. Repeat the same process three more times for a total of four renditions.
The breathing exercise is known as the “4-7-8” exercise and basically involves inhaling through the nose and exhaling through the mouth. Most people who have tried it out report waking up the following morning without remembering whether they even finished the cycle because the exercise had put them to sleep so quickly.
If you’ve been having difficulty falling asleep, this exercise is almost guaranteed to get you to fall asleep so you can wake up refreshed and happy and ready to take on the day.
Author: Aderonke Adeleke
Writer. Music lover. Movie junkie. Social Media Enthusiast. Aspiring dancer. Aspiring photographer. Social Introvert.