12 July 2017
Staying ahead of others is to stand out uniquely among your peers or counterparts.
In a situation where things are common, you must do things that distinct you from others – do what they aren’t doing.
If you want to get ahead, there is not a quick fix – it is about doing the right things each and every day; meaning, Hard Work Remains The Key.
“Winners do the things that others don’t or won’t do. They go the extra step. The extra lap. The extra mile if necessary. They give it their all, long after others have gone home.”
Are you doing the things that those who succeed are doing? If not, how can you expect to get the same results?
All you need is to work hard, for sometimes, hard work beats talents if talent fails to work hard.
This is largely because “What you lack in talent can be made up with desire, hustle and giving 110% all the time.” – Don Zimmer
Before delving substantially into the discussion, it is relevant to address this matter in a broad and narrow perspective. This topic shall thus be discussed under three subtopics – Knowing Your Platform, Knowing What To Do and Knowing What Not To Do.
WHAT’S YOUR PLATFORM?
You can’t be a jack of all trade. You need to look for a platform, create your own niche and develop yourself in it in order to be ahead of others.
In order to achieve this, you’ll have to identify yourself – what is your potential and passion? Then you need to channel your energy and innate ability and gift to the right course and be in the right place.
Do you wish to be ahead in your academics, profession? Then start putting the standard further.
The first step forward is to quit measuring yourself on the available standard – that is, your objectives, actions and points of measurement should not be based on what everybody else is doing. To help you at this, ask yourself; “is everybody else as successful as you want to be?
WHAT TO DO
- The Morning Homage: Wake up early, prepare for the day, exercise, set your deadline and finish before the set time.
- Set Higher Goals and Dream Bigger: For he who has no destination, every route becomes his way. Instead of going wherever life takes you, set goals and choose your own path.
Think bigger, dream bigger! Push yourself to even higher levels than you thought possible. We are all stronger than we think.
Some people say “You don’t have to know exactly where you are going when you start. It can be a journey, as long as you have general sense of the direction you want to move.”
Instead, I say having a sense of direction is not enough, one needs to know exactly where he is going from the start while you figure out how you get there on the way.
- Staying Focused: Staying focused and on track shouldn’t be a constant game of tug-of-war with the self. It’s difficult to make good decisions when we are caught up in the moment, but if we can foresee possible deviations from our chosen paths, we can avoid them altogether, making staying on track much easier.
- Stay Relevant: To be relevant, you have to be loaded. And if you’re loaded, you’ll be needed. You don’t have to be afraid of not being relevant and important. Never be worried about being great at your callings. It’s reasonable to look at those ahead of you and envy their growth. But then, it’s not a life-taking affair. You’ll also get there in as few as you can do the needful; be loaded. If you are loaded, you’ll be needed.
- Believe In Yourself: “The man who has confidence and believes in himself gains the confidence of others.” – Brian Tracy. So, even if you don’t have the believe, pretend as if you do. Even if you lack the confidence, pretend as if you do. Fake it until you make it! Act as if you had all the confidence you require until it becomes your reality.” – Brian Tracy
- Help Others: Never underestimate the power of helping others. Life is often a team sport, and you never know when your teammates will be there to support you. Always be there for them.
WHAT NOT TO DO
- Don’t Complain: Complaining is a waste of valuable time. It is procrastination in disguise. Instead of whining about something, do something about it.
- Don’t Procrastinate: You are your habits. And your habits are what you do today and every day. Don’t put off good intentions or actions until tomorrow
- Don’t Beat Yourself: “You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream.” – CS Lewis. Don’t Punish Yourself For Falling Off Track. The important thing to remember is that you are only human. You will give into your weaknesses and you will make poor decisions from time to time, but that’s okay. Beating ourselves up for making bad decisions doesn’t do us any good. It stunts the learning process; it discourages us, and it sometimes even causes us to overcompensate, which more often than not leads to throwing in the towel altogether.
- Don’t Quit: We may encounter many defeats but we must not be defeated.” – Maya Angelou.
- Don’t Delegate Your Control: It’s all in your hand. Don’t be dependent, of your dream, on anybody. You’re the totality of yourself. Whether you’ll stay ahead of others or not lies in your hand. Take charge, take control.