23 August 2016
Deborah Faleke, electrocuted by a falling high-tension cable at Fagbenro Street, Alakuko, Lagos State on May 21, had two distinctions and six credits in the just-released West Africa Senior School Certificate Examination (WASCE) results.
Pastor Ademola Faleke, the father, said on Tuesday that Deborah performed excellently at the examination and her result was one of the best in her school.
Tragedy struck on Fagbenro Street, after a high-tension wire fell on the 14-year-old Deborah and was immediately electrocuted.
“The late Deborah had two distinctions and six credits out of the nine subjects she sat for in the 2016 May/June Examination.
“She had C6 in Economics, B3 in Geography, C5 in Civil Education, and C4 in English Language.
“She also had C4 in Mathematics, B3 in Chemistry, E8 in Biology, C6 in Physics and F9 in Marketing respectively,’’ the bereaved father said.
The pastor was in tears while reeling out the result and said that Deborah had desired to study Bio-chemistry in one of the privately-owned universities in Ogun State, before her untimely death.
“I had promised to finance her education to her desired level then,’’ Faleke recalled.
“Now that she is no more, the result has become a wasted effort and her hopes of studying the course of her choice dashed.’’
“My daughter was the Senior Girl in her secondary school during her final year.
“She was also the president the school’s Jet’s Club and the Secretary of its Literary and Debating Society.
“As a father, I had promised her then that I would try within my power to ensure that she achieved her educational desire, but the will of God must prevail,’’ he said.
Deborah had gone to stay with her cousin, Bukola Ogunbanjo, barely two weeks after writing her WASC examination when the unfortunate incident that led to her untimely death happened.
The high-tension cable which belonged to Ikeja Electric (IE) fell on Deborah immediately electricity supply was restored to the area around 10 a.m., on the fateful day.
Faleke also said that the management of IE had only visited his family once since the incident.
“The management of IE visited my family once, since then my family has not seen or heard anything from IE’s management’’ he said.
He also said that recently the Nigerian Electricity Regulatory Commission (NERC) sent its representatives to commiserate with him and his family over the loss.
IE’s Head of Corporate Communications, Mr Felix Ofulue, said that the matter was being handled by its legal unit.
He said that he would communicate whatever updates he had as soon as he it was made available.