16 July 2016
More than 44 shops were razed at the popular Farm Centre GSM market in Kano on Friday.
Eyewitness and one of the shop owners said the fire started around 5.30 p.m. when most of traders had closed for business.
According to one of the witnesses, the fire which destroyed phones and other valuables worth millions of Naira, was said to have been caused by a spark from a converter supplying power to some of the shops.
The source said though no life was lost, no fewer than 44 shops were destroyed by the inferno.
Director of the state’s Fire Service Alhaji Mustapha Rulwan confirmed the incident and said a total of 44 wooden shops were razed.
“We received distress call around 5.30 p.m. and we immediately mobilised our personnel to the area.
“We were able to put out the fire within 45 minutes.” he said.
He said it was an inverter that was being used by some of the traders that caused the inferno as most of the affected shops were made of wood and zinc.” he added.
It was the second time the market was gutted by fire in the last eight months.