28 April 2016
It is often advised that one listens before speaking. Despite the fact that many have more than ones heard this age-old advice, they are still not a good listener. Here are some tips that will help you become a good listener:
– Pay Attention: A good listener pays attention to the speaker in the communication encounter. Everybody loves to feel like they are heard; paying attention to what a person is saying shows appreciation and respect for them.
– Eye Contact: There is a Yoruba saying that talks about the eyes being where the conversation is. Eye contact is important in every communication encounter, and to become a good listener, you must learn to look directly at the speaker to show you are paying attention to what they are saying.
– Non-verbal gestures/cues and use of positive body language: Nodding and use of other non-verbal as well as occasional verbal cues is helpful in becoming a better listener. It prompts the speaker to continue talking and also shows attention to what is being said.
– Avoid being judgmental or patronizing: To be a good listener, you must avoid being judgmental or patronizing. Never tell the speaker you understand what they are going through because you never can completely, and also don’t judge what they have said by your standards, it does not help to motivate future communication between you and the speaker because no one likes being judged.
– Don’t listen to respond but listen to understand: A good listener listens not to respond but to understand and comprehend the message being passed across by the speaker. To become a good listener, try not to listen with the aim of giving a reply but with the aim of understanding the speaker’s point of view or opinion.
Author: Aderonke Adeleke
Writer. Music lover. Movie junkie. Social Media Enthusiast. Aspiring dancer. Aspiring photographer. Social Introvert.