10 November 2017
Because of its long long list of very very important history, many believe Ethiopia is the most underrated country in the world. I believe that too – Ethiopia, just doesn’t get the respect it deserves
Listed below are some facts about this ancient African country:
1. Ethiopia is one of the world’s oldest nations. Founded 980BC. Ethiopia developed and uses its own alphabet & numbers as well. It’s called Ge’ez alphabet.
2. Never colonized by Europeans. Beat colonialists twice.
3. Ethiopia is the birth place of Pan Africanism. The green, yellow & red colors in most African countries’ flags are adopted from the Ethiopian flag.
4. Ethiopia is the first country to accept Islam & hosted prophet Mohammed’s followers when persecuted.
5. Ethiopia has its own calendar & method of counting time. The year has 13 months currently at 2010 & the day starts at sunrise 12:00, 1:00, 2:00.
6. Ethiopia is the first country to accept Islam & hosted prophet Mohammed’s followers when persecuted.
7. Ethiopia has its own calendar & method of counting time. The year has 13 months currently at 2010 & the day starts at sunrise 12:00, 1:00, 2:00.
8. Funny enough Ethiopian new year is on September 11.
9. The first humans are from Ethiopia. Technically, everyone is from Ethiopia.
10. Coffee was first discovered in Ethiopia in a place called Kaffa. FYI, this is the original method of consumption.
11. Ethiopian emperor Menelik II was the first African to drive a car.
12. 85 per cent of the Blue Nile comes from Ethiopia.
13. Raw meat is a favorite for most Ethiopians.
14. Donkeys & Camels were first domesticated in Ethiopia
15. In Ethiopia there are 80 languages & 200 dialects spoken.
16. The world’s first high rise structure was built in Ethiopia in Axum.
17. Ethiopia has 9 world heritages registered by UNESCO.
18. Ethiopia has Lalibela, monolithic churches. Large structures made out of just one rock. The Ethiopians who built this are the only people in the world to understand & apply Space Architecture. The building in this photos is made from ONE rock, there are 11 more. All are churches. Amazing isn’t it.