30 June 2016
The death toll of Tuesday’s suspected terror attack on Istanbul Airport Bomb has risen to 42 people.
Turkey authorities have since declared a national day of mourning to mourn the 42 people killed in the gun and bomb attack.
Officials had earlier reported that 41 people died, but the toll rose on Wednesday after a woman died at a hospital in Istanbul.
According to CNN, though many of the dead were Turkish, including 10 airport staff members, six Saudis were also killed.
Meanwhile, Saudi Arabian Foreign Ministry has disclosed that 27 of their citizens were injured in the attack.
Turkish officials have also disclosed that other victims include, two Iraqis, one Tunisian, one Chinese, one Iranian, one Ukrainian, one Jordanian and one person from Uzbekistan.
According to Turkey officials, the attackers numbering three arrived in a taxi and began firing at the terminal entrance of the airport. When police opened fire on them, they blew themselves up.
Although no group or individual has admitted the attack, Turkey P.M. Binali Yildirim said early signs from the attack pointed to the so-called Islamic State.
CIA Director John Brennan supported Yildrim’s claim as he said it “bears the hallmarks” of the jihadist group.
Turkish investigators are examining CCTV footage, witness statements and mobile phone video recorded by terrified passengers to try to determine the identity of the attackers.
Authorities have suggested that they were foreign nationals but this is still yet to be confirmed.
President Recep Tayyip Erdogan proclaimed the terror attack on Istanbul’s airport “will not divide or split our country.”