12 January 2018
James Franco, who is the latest Hollywood star to come under sexual misconduct allegation won the best actor at the Critics’ Choice Award Thursday night, but the actor failed to show up to pick up his award.
The under-fire star scooped the best actor in a comedy gong for his role in The Disaster Artist.
But Franco, 39, did not appear in person after he was accused of sexually inappropriate behaviour by five women in the Los Angeles Times on Thursday.
The announcer, actor Walton Goggins, said: “James couldn’t be here tonight to accept this, so we will accept it on his behalf.”
Franco, who had earlier in the week won an award at the Golden Globe, tackled the sexual misconduct allegations against him during an uncomfortable appearance on late-night U.S. television a couple of hours after the allegations started rolling in.
The actor has been criticised for wearing a Time’s Up pin in solidarity with the movement against sexual harassment during Sunday’s award ceremony.
Actress Violet Paley and filmmaker Sarah Tither-Kaplan recently took to Twitter to accuse Franco of sexual misconduct.
On Tuesday, Late Night host Stephen Colbert asked him about the allegations.
Franco said they were “not accurate but I support people coming out and being able to have a voice”.
Colbert then asked how he thought reconciliation could be achieved between two people with different views of an incident.
He replied: “If there is restitution to be made I will make it.”