5 June 2016
Muhammad Ali, the boxing legend widely recognised as the greatest boxer of all time was announced dead Friday night by the family. Since the announment, the world has been paying tribute to him for his contribution to sports and world unity.
Joining everyone to honour the great Muhammad Ali, the man who “floats like a butterfly and sting like a bee”, we have put together his top 14 quotes:
– I hated every minute of training, but I said, ‘Don’t quit. Suffer now and live the rest of your life as a champion.’
– I done wrestled with an alligator, I done tussled with a whale; handcuffed lightning, thrown thunder in jail; only last week, I murdered a rock, injured a stone, hospitalised a brick; I’m so mean I make medicine sick.
– Friendship… is not something you learn in school. But if you haven’t learned the meaning of friendship, you really haven’t learned anything.
– Float like a butterfly, sting like a bee.
– He who is not courageous enough to take risks will accomplish nothing in life.
– I’ve made my share of mistakes along the way, but if I have changed even one life for the better, I haven’t lived in vain.
– Only a man who knows what it is like to be defeated can reach down to the bottom of his soul and come up with the extra ounce of power it takes to win when the match is even.
– If they can make penicillin out of mouldy bread, they can sure make something out of you.
– Wars of nations are fought to change maps. But wars of poverty are fought to map change.
– It isn’t the mountains ahead to climb that wear you out; it’s the pebble in your shoe.
– It’s the repetition of affirmations that leads to belief. And once that belief becomes a deep conviction, things begin to happen.
– Age is whatever you think it is. You are as old as you think you are.
– Service to others is the rent you pay for your room here on earth.
– People don’t realize what they had till it’s gone. Like President Kennedy, there was no one like him, the Beatles, and my man Elvis Presley. I was the Elvis of boxing.
Author: Ekpeki Donald Pen Prince
Ekpeki Chovwe Donald styled the PenPrince is a writer and lawyer in equity. He has an unhealthy interest in wit, pun and poetry. When he’s not writing, he’s reading and when he’s not reading, he’s breathing. He breathes words.