Source: theunion.com.ng/Former goal tender of the defunct Green Eagles, Emmanuel Okala, has urged the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) and football administrators to prioritise the welfare of ex-players and coaches. Okala, who made the plea on Monday in Enugu, said Nigerians should not just stop at mourning departed ex-players. He said while it was not out of place to eulogise departed athletes, particularly footballers, the NFF and football administrators should recognise and care for them while they were alive. ``How can we replace two great giants of Nigerian football – Stephen Keshi and Shuaibu Amodu, who passed on just within few days intervals? ``Look at the hardworking Amodu, I am sure that the NFF is still owing him some allowances. ``I know that those people who failed to give him what was due to him while he was alive, are now pouring resounding encomiums on him. This is regrettable,’’ he said. Okala, who had been a goalkeeper coach for various national teams, noted that the welfare of ex-players and coaches must be held sacrosanct. This, according to him, is necessary, if the football sector, its administrators and lovers are to be taken serious. ``In other countries, heroes and legends are celebrated for life; just like the case of the late boxing icon, Mohammad Ali,’’ he stressed/Nigeria's forward Sunday Mba (C) celebrates with teammates after scoring the opening goal against Burkina Faso during the 2013 African Cup of Nations final football match between Burkina Faso and Nigeria on February 10, 2013 at Soccer City stadium in Johannesburg. AFP PHOTO / ISSOUF SANOGO

Source: theunion.com.ng

The Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) says it will announce the appointment of a Technical Adviser for the Super Eagles in August.

The NFF Executive Board had given its Technical and Development committee  seven days within which to name a Technical Adviser for the senior national team following the Federation’s failure to obtain Frenchman Paul Le Guen’s signature as coach of the team.

Chris Green, chairman of the ommittee said in Abuja on Thursday that: “we are working to ensure that we finish with the other incidentals, because as at the last time we didn’t do that.

“We left it for the Executive to do; which ordinarily should be their responsibility.

“But when they now asked us to go and do it again, they now told us to complete everything with the incidentals and send recommendations.

“It’s based on that that we are doing this now; we don’t want a situation where somebody will come out again and say this and that.

“As I speak with you, we have made contacts, we have done interviews, we have asked questions and the rest of them – even verifying from every other person.

“We have considered at a lot of people, but we have zeroed in on one person.

“It may not be from the former list; it’s a different exercise entirely, because as I speak to you, even when we have closed entries, some people are still applying.’’

Green added that though the deadline given by the NFF Board to name Le Guen’s replacement elapsed on July 27, efforts were on to ensure it does not exceed August.

“We have spread our dragnet by considering the ones that applied now and it will be announced to Nigerians by next month; So, I think we are on course,’’ he said.

Author: Cerebral Lemon