Image: www.nigerianmonitor.com

Garba Shehu                       Image: www.nigerianmonitor.com

The Presidency has dismissed a London Telegraph’s article, claiming that President Muhammadu Buhari-led administration is targeting Christians and the opposition.

Malam Garba Shehu, the President’s Senior Special Assistant on Media and Publicity, in a statement issued on Monday in Abuja, described it as “untrue and without foundation’’.

Shehu stated that President Muhammadu Buhari had been treating all Nigerians equally irrespective of their religious or geo-political backgrounds.

He said: “since assuming office, President Buhari has treated all Nigerians without bias for ethnicity or religion – as the composition of his cabinet and the policies and programmes of his administration demonstrate.

“To suggest his government as deepening Muslim-Christian division is not only untrue, but plays into the hands of Boko Haram who wish to divide Nigerians along religious lines.

“Fighting this group is key priority of President Buhari’s Administration.

“Indeed the international community has widely acknowledged his determination to defeat terrorism in Nigeria and the entire Lake Chad Basin.

“There is nothing to gain by attempting to mould public opinion against these facts.’’

The presidential aide also described as untrue the London Telegraph’s article: “Children Face Death by Starvation in Northern Nigeria’’, published on July 30, saying that “this is as incorrect as it is unhelpful.

“These claims in both articles are attributed to an unnamed `source’ in the United States, and `Western officials.’

“Yet when the first article was published it drew the condemnation of the U.S. Embassy in Abuja as having drawn conclusions directly opposite to the position of the U.S.government.

“To state the facts: the UK government does not give development aid to the Nigerian administration for use in military operations against Boko Haram.

“Where British military support – such as intelligence – is provided, it is precisely and only, given for operations directly against Boko Haram.’’

According to Shehu, the Nigerian government is in no position to divert aid monies used for emergency relief for refugees or IDP camps for any other purpose.

He explained that such monies were dispensed directly by DFID, USAID, the United Nations, the International Red Cross, Doctors without Borders and many other organisations with which “Nigeria enjoys excellent relations’’.

Shehu said the Federal Government was doing everything within its limited resources to address the medical, health and nutritional challenges in the IDPs, as “the humanitarian situation in these camps is real’’.

“The administration remains deeply concerned about the medical, health and nutrition challenges and we are doing everything with the limited resources we have at our disposal to improve the situation.

“However, the blame for the plight of refugees lies with Boko Haram. They are its cause, not the Nigerian Government.

“In the light of ongoing efforts, we regret the recent attack on the UN humanitarian convoy in the north-eastern region and are encouraged by the world body’s determination to continue rendering assistance to displaced victims.

“That the attack was repelled by Nigerian troops escorting the convoy shows precisely how the government and humanitarian agencies are working together.’’

Shehu invited The Telegraph to visit Nigeria “to witness first hand not only the challenges we face, but the administration’s determination to confront them’’.

Author: Cerebral Lemon