23 May 2016
Okechukwu Ofili, artist, author of books such as, How Intelligence Kills, and How Stupidity Saved My Life, and entrepreneur and founder of the mobile book reading app, okadabooks.com, shared ten rules of writing that every writer should definitely take a look at and consider imbibing:
1. There is no such thing as writers block, it’s just a figment of your imagination.
2. You do not need inspiration to write, but it sure helps.
3. The badly written book is better than the excellent bestseller still stuck in your head.
4. A writer should be able to use a calculator just as well as they do a typewriter.
5. There is an ongoing battle between your inner editor and writer. Whatever you do, don’t let your editor win!
6. Contrary to popular belief, people will judge your book by its cover.
7. Writing is like sex, everyone has different styles.
8. Do not use big words… they are an egregious means of self aggrandizement.
9. You have the same 26 letters that Wole Soyinka and Chimamanda Adichie have.
10. There are no set rules to writing, just opinions. So figure out what works best for you and stick to it!
Author: Aderonke Adeleke
Writer. Music lover. Movie junkie. Social Media Enthusiast. Aspiring dancer. Aspiring photographer. Social Introvert.