6 September 2016
At least one civilian was killed and six others injured in an attack on a Kabul compound belonging to the Charity Care International, Sediq Sediqqi, the spokesman for the Interior Ministry said on Tuesday.
Sediqqi said that all three attackers, who took hostages during a siege which lasted 11 hours, had also been killed during the operation to retake the compound.
“Forty-two people, including 10 foreigners have been rescued,” he said.
Militants had holed themselves up in the Care International building in the centre of Kabul after staging a suicide bombing in front of it late on Monday.
Earlier reports had suggested that the militants had targeted a hotel housing mostly Indian nationals.
Afghan security forces began exchanging gunfire with the militants after the suicide bomber attacked just after 11p.m. on Monday, targeting a busy shopping area open late ahead of the Eid holiday.
The attack came after militants carried out two other bombings in Kabul on Monday in which at least another 24 people, including six members of the Afghan security forces, were killed.
Security forces had rushed to the scene of the first attack which came as office workers were returning home for the day.
This was followed by another blast when a suicide bomber blew himself up among the crowd that had gathered to assist the injured.
Wahidullah Majroh, a spokesman for the Afghan Ministry of Health, said that at least 91 others were injured while some were in critical conditions.
The Taliban claimed responsibility for the twin bombing, adding that it had killed tens of soldiers and officers in its recent efforts to damage the elite security in Kabul.
According to the report, 16 people were killed last month and 39 others were injured in another Taliban attack on the American University of Afghanistan.
It said that 64 people were killed and more than 300 others were wounded after the Taliban attacked a company providing security for the Afghan elite.