Niall Horan is a former boy band member, One Direction, who is enjoying a successful solo career.

But Niall Horan revealed he would be happy to return to One Direction one day, during an interview with 60 Minutes on Sunday.

The 24-year-old said he wants to keep his connection to the band that made him famous, and he wouldn’t second guess returning if an opportunity presented itself.

“Yep, 100 per cent, I’ve said that on multiple occasions,” Niall said.

And when asked if the band would eventually reform, Niall replied: “I’m sure yeah, we’d be literally stupid not to.”

Enjoying a comfortable solo career as an international artist, Niall has become a household name with the single ‘Slow Hands’ following the release of his debut album ‘Flicker’ earlier this year.

And while Niall’s worldwide success has been due to his undeniable talent as a strong singer-songwriter, he claims that it’s all because of his boy band past.

“I wouldn’t be here if it wasn’t for it,” he said.

One Direction shocked their fans in late 2015 when they announced an indefinite hiatus, after the departure of former member, Zayn Malik, earlier that year.

All the former members, including Niall, had released solo records as of May 2017.

Rumours have circulated in recent years that the band’s split would become permanent, but the group’s record label has denied the claims in the past.

The band rose to fame after finishing third on the UK version of The X Factor in 2010.