23 May 2016
The most common health problem of the rainy season is catching a cold. Despite how common and easy it is to catch a cold, there is no one particular way to cure it. It’s not like having malaria and taking some pills for three days or at most a week and whalla!!! you are fine.
A cold always has to run its course, so most of the time the only drugs you can take for it will only help you manage it and mitigate its effects.
The most important things to do when you have common cold is to build up your immune system with good food, fruits and lots of fluids. Aside the aforementioned, the following natural remedies also help:
– Mixture of honey and lime: This is a typically traditional remedy. The kind your grandmother would force on you when you were a child. But the truth is, it works. Mix a little honey and lime and take it at least three times a day. It helps to clear the throat and also does wonders for the sinuses.
– Steam inhalation: This is another traditional method of dealing with a cold. Put your head over a bowl of steaming water and cover it with a towel. The steam will enter the sinuses and help to clear them. It is particularly helpful for a blocked or stuffy nose.
– Sleep with a half cut onion beside your bed: This remedy will help give you a good night’s sleep especially if you have a blocked nose and find breathing hard. The onion attracts the toxins and the acidic nutrients in the onion helps to clear the nostrils.
– Eat plenty fruits: Fruits does wonders for the body. Fruits that are rich in Vitamin C are especially helpful for common cold. Citrus fruits such as oranges, lemons, grapefruits, lime, tangerines and others are rich in Vitamin C and provide the natural element that helps in beating the cold.
– Drink lots of fluids: Take lots and lots of fluids such as water and beverages. Preferably consume hot or at least lukewarm. Avoid cold fluids as much as possible as that only aggravates the soreness in the throat or the stuffy or blocked nose.
Author: Aderonke Adeleke
Writer. Music lover. Movie junkie. Social Media Enthusiast. Aspiring dancer. Aspiring photographer. Social Introvert.