24 April 2016
Born Oladapo Olaitan Olaonipekun in 1987, Dagrin was a popular award winning Nigerian Rapper. Unfortunately, he died on this day in 2010 at the age of 22. He was known for his unique style of rapping which was a blend of Yoruba, English and Pidgin English. He is regarded as some as the pioneer of indigenous rap in Nigeria. He was popularly known for his two singles Pon Pon Pon and Kondo.
Before his death, he’s won a couple of awards:
– He was nominated for the 2010 Nigerian Entertainment Awards for Best Album, ‘Chief Executive Omota’
– Hottest Single, “Pon Pon Pon”,
– Best Rap Act and Best Collaboration with vocals.
– His album, ‘Chief Executive Omota’ won the Hip hop World Award 2010 for best rap album.
– He was nominated for the 2010 Hip hop world award for artiste of the year.
How he died:
He was involved in a motor accident in front of the Alakara Police Station, Agege, Lagos state on April 14 2010. He sustained a serious head injury as a result of the crash. He was admitted at Tai Solarin Hospital, and later transferred to the Lagos University Teaching Hospital, (LUTH) Idi Araba. He died 8 days after the accident.