9 October 2016
Contrary to speculations making the rounds, particularly in the online media space, the Nigerian government has not lifted the ban placed on importation of rice through land borders.
A highly reliable source at the Nigeria Customs Service told cerebrallemon.com on Sunday that “It is not true.’’
The source blamed some foreigners who had been in the business of importing rice into Nigeria for planting the fabricated story in the media using some wire service.
When contacted, Wale Adeniyi, Public Relations Officer of the Nigeria Customs Service, clarified the true position and said those behind the spreading of the story were relying on developments in years past, but that the current position is that “rice importation through land borders is still banned.’’
The Nigeria Customs Service also issued a statement saying its attention had been drawn to publications on various online platforms indicating that it had reversed the ban on rice importation through the land borders.
It stated in the statement that:
“It has become necessary to re-state the true position in view of the confusion which these online publications may create in the industry.
“It is even more expedient to provide this clarification given that the fact that the Service has taken a firm position earlier in the week through a joint press conference with stakeholders.
“First, we like to reiterate the position that importation of rice remains banned through our land borders, and we have the commitment of partner government agencies and stakeholders to enforce this restriction.
“While this restriction is in force, rice imports through the ports are still allowed subject to payment of extant charges.
“It is equally important to restate the confidence of the Nigeria Customs Service in the ability of Nigerian rice producers to fill the existing sufficiency gaps in the supply of the product.
“The Service has noted with satisfaction the ongoing rice revolution undertaken by many state governments, and strategic interventions by Federal Government Agencies.
“The Service is convinced that the bumper harvests expected from these efforts will address the supply gap in 2017.
“It is our belief that continuous waste of scarce forex on a commodity that can be produced locally makes no economic sense, most especially at a period of recession.
“The Service will therefore advocate a total Ban on Rice Importation into Nigeria with effect from 2017.
“It is worrisome that the publications that resurfaced this weekend were being attributed to a press interview granted in October 2015. We strongly suspect that some powerful forces behind rice smuggling are at work, recycling an old report under a different circumstance to create confusion.
“We urge Nigerians to watch out for similar antics as the firm stand on rice smuggling will pitch their selfish interest against our national interest.’’
The statement was signed by Adeniyi.