10 January 2017
Real Madrid and Portugal forward, Cristiano Ronaldo was crowned the world’s best player at the Fifa ‘The Best’ Awards in Zurich on Monday night.
The Portuguese who had an amazing year 2016 beat off competition from five-time winner, Lionel Messi and Atletico Madrid forward, Antoine Griezmann to claim his fourth FIFA best individual award in the last 9 years.
The award came one month after the 31-year-old also pipped Lionel Messi to win his fourth Ballon d’Or title.
Cristiano Ronaldo captained Portugal to win the 2016 European Championship in France. He also scored the winning penalty in the 2015/16 UEFA Champions League final for Real Madrid against Griezmann’s Atletico Madrid.
Ronaldo also won the FIFA World Club Cup in December with Real Madrid.
Leicester City boss, Claudio Ranieri was named the coach of the year, in recognition for leading his side to their fairytale Premier League triumph.
United States’ Carlo Lloyd was named the Best FIFA Women Player for the year in 2016. She beat off competition from Melanie Behringer of Germany and Bayern Munich, and Marta of Brazil and FC Rosengard.
Supporters of Bundesliga side, Borrusia Dortmund and Premier League giant, Liverpool were jointly awarded the FIFA Fan award.
- The Best FIFA Men’s Player Award Cristiano Ronaldo (Portugal/ Real Madrid)
- The Best FIFA Women’ Player Award Carlo Lloyd (USA/Houston Dash)
- The Best FIFA Men’s Coach Award Claudio Ranieri (Italy/Leicester)
- The Best FIFA Women’s Coach Award Silvia Neid (Germany/ German women’s national team)
- The FIFA Fan Award Borussia Dortmund and Liverpool fans
- The FIFA Fair Play Award Atletico Nacional
- FIFA Outstanding Award Falcao (Brazil)
- The FIFA Puskas Award Mohd Faiz Subri (Malaysia/Penang)
Author: Timilehin Boyinde
Oluwatimilehin Boyinde is a research writer and a social media strategist. A public affairs analyst, he writes about history, politics, sports, life matters and technology. He is passionate about happenings in Local and international political arenas. He is an avid Manchester United fan and an unapologetic Nigerian.