3 May 2016
1. The nature of love requires an exchange. It is a give and take situation. But you cannot give what you don’t have. You must have love first before you can give it. You cannot love anybody before you love yourself. You must love yourself, and then you will know how to love somebody else.
2. Loving yourself first helps you find fulfillment. Self-love will teach you how to look into yourself for fulfillment which will ultimately help you live a happier life. Fulfillment does not lie in having a partner or getting married, those are fulfillment standards based on culture. Having a partner and falling in love is good, but it should not be the goal to achieve fulfillment.
3. Because self-love is the only way to find true happiness and it is important not to have your happiness tied to anybody but yourself.
4. It builds your emotional strength. Relationships need an equal amount of commitment from both parties. Achieving self-love helps you attain a certain level of emotional maturity which will eventually help your relationship.
5. It shapes your character. Identity is built on the knowledge of one’s self. Self-love is the only way to build one’s identity and character because it emphasizes focus on one’s self.
Author: Aderonke Adeleke
Writer. Music lover. Movie junkie. Social Media Enthusiast. Aspiring dancer. Aspiring photographer. Social Introvert.