8 July 2016
The Nigerian Army confirmed the killing of at least six persons after two suspected suicide bombers attacked an early morning congregation in Damboa, Borno, on Friday.
Col. Sani Usman, the Acting Director, Army Public Relations, confirmed the incident in a statement in Maiduguri.
He said: “at the early hours of Friday, precisely at about 5.15 a.m., two suspected Boko Haram terrorists’ suicide bombers attacked Damboa.
“The first suicide bomber targeted Damboa Central Mosque but due to stringent security measures, he could not gain entry. Obviously frustrated, he exploded and died near the Central Mosque.”
“However, the second bomber veered off and gained entry into another smaller mosque and detonated the bomb, killing himself and six other worshipers and injuring one other person.”
He said that the injured victim had been taken to hospital for treatment.
“The wounded has been evacuated to a hospital while efforts are on to clear the rubble.
“Troops and other security agencies have been mobilised to the area,” he stressed.
Usman also confirmed the killing of three persons after a suspected terrorist attack on Gaskeri village near Dalori, also in Borno
“In a related development, suspected Boko Haram terrorists, in a survival bid, attacked Gaskeri village ahead of Dalori on Thursday, where they killed three civilian vigilantes and looted foodstuffs.
“Troops have been mobilised, and they are on the suspects’ trail.
“Similarly, as part of the efforts to keep Maiduguri-Dikwa-Gamboru Ngala Road open and safe, troops of 3 Battalion, 22 Brigade, on Thursday escorted four trailers and 44 other vehicles from Dikwa to Gamboru Ngala.
“The escort duties would continue,” he said.