1 May 2016
After a heavy rain late on Friday, a six storey building in Huruma residential estate collapsed. Since then, security workers and others have been searching nonstop for residents feared trapped in the rubble.
Though it is not known how many people were in the building at the time of its collapse, ten people according to the country’s interior minister, Joseph Nkaissery, have been reported dead. He however fears that the death toll may rise.
Rescuers said they could hear the voices of five people trapped in the building, adding that it would be difficult to remove the concrete slabs using heavy machinery without endangering those stuck in the rubble. The collapse has raised concerns about the safety of other blocks in the area, and the Kenyan Red Cross said 150 building units and adjacent homes had been affected.
“It is raining, and these houses were built without Nairobi County authorisation,” Jonathan Mueke, its deputy governor, said on the privately owned QTV station. “I am asking residents in the area to leave. In the area where this one collapsed there are 189 houses.”
It has also been that 58 people had been rescued from the rubble, including a baby, but most residents were trapped inside.