9 December 2017
Hours after the Peoples’ Democratic Party, PDP, National Caretaker Committee announced the immediate suspension of Senator Buruji Kashamu, the lawmaker represents Ogun East Senatorial District in the upper chamber has responded, immediately undermining his suspension.
Though the PDP didn’t mention the reason for the suspension as it announced it in a tweet, the duration of the suspension was announced – One month.
Senator Kashamu’s reaction came Saturday morning, in a statement personally signed by him.
Full statement below:
At about 3:30 a.m. today, Saturday, the 9th of December, 2017, my attention was drawn to reports of my purported suspension for one month by an interim soon-to-be forgotten National Caretaker Committee (NCC) of our great party, and I wish to react as follows:
- I thank the Almighty Allah who has brought me this far and made me a factor in the national politics of our great party, the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP).
- The news of my purported suspension is coming on the heels of a pending appeal with a motion for injunction that has been properly entered and served on parties. This renders the purported suspension a nullity as it offends the principle of “lis pendens”. Therefore, I reject the purported suspension because it offends all known principles of justice and fair hearing.
- It should be noted however that the mere fact that the Caretaker Committee could resort to this last-minute action in its dying hours and on the day of our national convention shows clearly that the battle that I and other well-meaning leaders, elders and stakeholders have waged against impunity and illegality, and for the enthronement of democracy, due process and the rule of law really got to them.
- Makarfi and his cohorts, especially Ekiti State Governor, Mr. Ayo Fayose think that they can intimidate and pocket every voice of dissent within the party. Yet, they are quick to accuse the Federal Government of stifling the opposition when they are the real dictators and tyrants.
- They arrogantly think that they can browbeat everyone into submission and buy over the conscience of our party leaders and delegates in continuation of their desperate bid to hold the party by the jugular in order to serve their selfish and egocentric ends.
- What is the essence of a multiparty politics and democracy if people cannot disagree to agree and ventilate their views? I dare say that any party or organisation that does not brook dissent and plurality of ideas and opinions is on its way to self-destruct and extinction.
- Dear delegates, distinguished party leaders and elders, I urge you to rise up and join in the struggle to rescue our party from the vice grip of these delinquents by electing a new and untainted leadership that will put an end to illegality, impunity, deceit and imposition. Today, let’s elect men and women of conscience who will truly reposition our party, restore democracy and make it the envy of all. Let’s show Nigerians that it is a new dawn and a new order in PDP.
- Finally, notwithstanding this purported suspension, I stand by my convictions in the struggle for the enthronement of genuine democracy, due process and respect for our own constitution. I remain strong and unbowed by their antics. Insha Allah, together, we shall outlive and outshine these agents of darkness.
I wish all our respectable leaders, elders, contestants and delegates the best of luck.
Long live PDP! Long live the Federal Republic of Nigeria.
Distinguished Senator Buruji Kashamu
Ogun East Senatorial District
9th December, 2017.