24 April 2016
Okay, that was totally sarcastic. Oral Health should never ever be taken for granted. While you’re also doing others a favor when you take good care of your teeth and gum, you’re also doing yourself a huge favor. You are preventing mouth odor, cavities, tooth decay and other tooth diseases.
Unfortunately, it often is taken for granted. Without even stating the fact that the Nigerian dental health sector is still poor, it is obvious that when it comes to personal hygiene oral health is one that is least taken care of. Like every part of our body, it is important. Oral health touches every aspect of our lives. It is a window into the health of your body. You do not want to be ashamed to smile or to talk, do you?
Whether you are old or young, poor or wealthy, student or working class, your oral health is very important. Some Nigerian would never see a dentist throughout their lifetime preferring to endure the pain, ignore it or treat it traditionally. This is sad because regular dental examinations and good oral hygiene can prevent most dental disease. A single checkup might save you the ordeal of a life time.
How to practice good oral hygiene:
1. You can practice good oral hygiene by always brushing your teeth twice a day with a fluoride toothpaste
2. Cleaning between your teeth once a day with floss
3. Replacing your toothbrush every three or four months
4. Eating a balanced diet and limiting between-meal snacks.
5. Going for regular dental check-ups to keep yourself healthy.
6. Where you have a teeth condition as teeth sensitivity, it is preferable for you to use a soft-bristled toothbrush. Brush gently and carefully around the gum line so you don’t remove gum tissue. Also use toothpaste for sensitive teeth. Several brands are available. Regular use should make teeth less sensitive. If the sensitivity persists, see a dentist.
7. Besides the internal organ problems smoking can give rise to, it can give rise to bad breath, tooth discoloration, increased buildup of plaque and tartar on the teeth, increased risk of white patches inside the mouth, gum disease which can lead to tooth loss etc. It is important to stop smoking to maintain overall personal hygiene.
8. Rinse your mouth daily with a fluoride-containing mouthwash. Some mouth wash have antiseptic ingredients to help kill bacteria that cause plaque.
It is important to these, so that you do not scare anyone, especially yourself away.