Watermelon, one of the ‘power house’ fruits like I love to call it is enriched with a good amount of important nutrients like vitamin A and C, potassium, magnesium, and other important nutrients.
A lot of people don’t know that the fruit as a whole is edible, just like cucumber. Popularly, the inner red is eaten and the outer green is thrown away. Not only is the outer green edible; it contains much more nutrients than the inner red, but is pushed off because of its taste.
Here are some reasons why you should think twice before throwing the rind of the water melon away next time you lay your hands on one:
1. The rind of a watermelon is spectacularly rich in mineral waters that can’t be found anywhere else. It contains lycopene and beta-carotene which is great for eye health. Researchers also attribute lycopene as an antioxidant that could possibly help ward off prostate cancer.
2. Watermelon rind contains a high dose of L-citruline which helps improve blood circulation by dilating blood vessels. The Citrulline also has libido-boosting powers which improves erection for men.
3. The Citrulline also improves athletic performance and is good for your workout.
4. Studies have also attributed weight loss to the action of Citrulline.
5. The rind of the watermelon mitigates the rush of natural sugars that you ingest when you’re either blending or juicing your organic watermelons – so this is another good reason to juice up those wonderfully, nutrient dense watermelon rinds.
6. It helps reduce Blood Pressure. Research shows that its extract supplements can help adults control blood pressure.
7. The vitamin C and vitamin B-6 it contains makes it good for the skin and immunity, as well as the health of the nervous system.